Monday, June 1, 2009

off to the zoo


The girls and I ventured to the Brookfield Zoo today. We only live 10 minutes from the zoo and its carousel. It is one of the country's largest hand-carved carousels and it's a beauty. We didn't neglect to see the peacocks, boa constrictors, dazzling condors and rhinos but I think in all honesty we visited today purely to take a ride on one of those gorgeous painted beasts. Here are a few photos from the afternoon.
He is the real thing in the photo above. Amazing! Below is a shot of the top of the carousel. The interior structure is stunning.
Franny rode this incredible log with two snakes coiled around it. I think it's my favorite though it is almost impossible to pick! It's so good to know that there are people still building such lovely things with their hands.
This panda chewing bamboo is adorable!
Seeing and touching this kind of artistry made me wonder about other wooden carousels. I found the images below from the site for the C.W. Parker Carousel Museum in Levenworth, Kansas. Aren't they lovely?

Thanks for looking! Have a wonderful Tuesday!!
paz, k

No comments:

Post a Comment