Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Great Escapes







Rain coming. See the dwindling late afternoon light? I started prepping dinner but ran out with the camera for a few quick photos while the sweet potatoes and carrots were roasting.

*
I had forgot what it feels like to wake up in a tent. This Mother's Day began with me pulling the sleeping bag hood canopy-like over baby's head, trying to block out the explosion of sunlight that was filtering through the tent. If only I could catch a few more minutes of sleep...

I don't know about you but it's been a long time since I went camping. Falling asleep in a cozy tent, surrounded by your sleeping lovelies, amidst a quiet, moon-river meadow is divine. Getting back to sleep is less so. Waking up is a plain reminder you didn't wash your face before you went to bed. Opening the tent flap and glancing the morning is divine again. What a sensory banquet camping is! It is when we remove ourselves from the comforts and trappings of our shelters that we glimpse life like this. Do it with the kiddies and you will laugh and swear never to do it again, and then tell everyone how amazing it was-- because it really was.




Ever since my first catalogue arrived from the UK two years ago, I have been in love with the British home and clothing company Toast. This summer's house and home catalog was filmed in Crete and besides just drinking in those photos, it has gorgeous handmade tableware I am coveting like crazy. I want the archangelos mugs (great name, right?), the nikolaus splatterdishes and the wrought handle cutlery. My (pretend) shopping cart runneth over. Is it right to love these things so?

-L


No comments:

Post a Comment