Monday, May 11, 2009

Brno Baby

All thanks to my chair obsession I am now the proud owner of 2 beautiful (but well worn) Knoll Brno chairs designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1930. This pair is flat, not the tubular style, and has brown suede seat, back and arm pads. I got both of them well under what one new one would cost. Well, I am in love. They are now at the ends of my dining table and I think they are the types of chairs I will have for a very, very long time. Their weight is impressive and the design a modern masterpiece. Very cool. Enjoy!
This is what the chair new looks like. One day I'll have it reupholstered in new suede or some other kind of leather. The cushions are hard and crunchy and there is a tag under the chair that reads Knoll, 320 Park Avenue.... I was inspired to learn a little more about what other masterpieces van der Rohe has created and then I remembered that he built a home in Plano, Illinois on the Fox River for Dr. Edith Farnsworth in the middle of last century. The site dedicated to the Farnsworth House states that the house "represents the ultimate refinement of Mies van der Rohe's minimalist expression of structure and space." Below are some photos of the masterpiece.
In the photo above I think I see a brown leather upholstered Brno chair. Look at this room with those windows!

Nestled in the trees winter, spring, summer and fall. This is just a taste of my chair obsession. Always on the hunt! I am so amazed that such a simple human activity of sitting is expressed in a chair in an infinite number of forms. Happy Monday! Congrats to my dear friend Erin in Montana on the birth of her little girl Elsa Ellen Pelger! Yeah....

No comments:

Post a Comment